August 28th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Join Date: Apr 2007
I) Translating pages that are easily reachable on the site
Follow these steps to translate site content:
1. First, set the site to display using the language you want to translate into:
2. Click Turn On Edit Links (this link is also on every page at the top or bottom).
3. Go to the page where you want to translate content; the items you can translate will have the little edit icon.
4. Click the icon to enter your translation for the item.
When you are finished entering translations, turn the edit links back off by clicking Turn Off Edit Links, and change the displayed language back to your preferred language.
You can also Search for occurrences of an item you want to translate (see section II below)
II) Translating pages that are easily reachable on the site
Some pages cannot be translated directly on the page. For example, some pages are not reachable once you have signed in, and you must be signed in to translate. The page someone reaches after the first time they sign in is one such page. To translate it, you use the Edit Advanced feature of Admin Tools. Exact steps follow:
1) make sure site is being displayed in the default language (English in this case)
2) go to Admin Tools, click on Edit Advanced
3)on Select Page to Edit drop-down box, pick profile_first_time_confirm_info (this is the page people reach when they first sign-in)
4) notice it displays all the different sections of that page, with edit link icons for each one.
5)click on the edit link in the field you wish to translate
6) assuming you want to translate into Spanish, click on the Spanish language
button at bottom of page
7)translate the text and click on Save Espanol
8) you will be back on the page you want to translate, displaying the text, but
now, since you still have Spanish "turned on", instead of displaying the current value for ALL the text, it only displays the text sections you have already translated into Spanish. This is a little bit of a problem (I have filed an enhancement request to get this changed), because now you can see what you have already translated, but you can't see or select the text you still need to translate. So it is important to keep careful track of which fields you have already translated, so you will know where to continue with the next step.
9) Switch back to English to access all the sections again, choose the next one you wish to translate and click on the edit link icon for it.
10) repeat steps 5 through 9 for each section of the page, until the entire page has been translated
Last edited by Susan E.; August 28th, 2007 at 04:58 PM..