GoLightly

Question What is the definition of 'New Posts', and can it be changed?

Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

Jennifer C. is on a distinguished road
Hello GoLightly!

I am curious what controls the 'New Post' designation in the forums. I can't quite figure it out but believe it shows any posts in the past 12 hours that you haven't yet viewed.

Our forums aren't quite as active as other areas of our website and it would be great to change the new posts to include any in the last couple of days including any that have already been viewed. Is this controllable? If so, how can we make this change?

Thank you!

~ Jen

Old March 11th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Laura R. is on a distinguished road
Hi Jennifer - I'm so sorry , I only just found this post - so it looks like you may be correct and a new post is only classified as new for 12 hours. I shall investigate this and see if it can be changed.

Thanks, Laura

Old March 16th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

Jennifer C. is on a distinguished road
Thanks, Laura.

It would be great if we could change this. Let me know if you find out a way to control this setting.

~ Jennifer

Old December 2nd, 2010, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Laura R. is on a distinguished road
If you are logged in, the 'Today's Posts' link will change to 'New Posts', which gives you a listing of all threads that have been created or updated since your last visit.

The administrator can also set up the forums so that each thread you read is marked in the database. If this option is set, then new threads (or threads with new posts) will not be marked as read until you have actually read them.

There is a built-in time limit to this, however, that will automatically mark all threads as 'read' after a set number of day, whether you really have read them or not. The default setting is 10 days, but the administrator could make this higher or lower
----- This setting is changed under setting ‘Database Read Marking Limit’ which is under the section ‘General Settings’ in vBulletin Options.